Monday, March 2, 2009

Four days and counting

WOW. I haven't worked like that since, well, probably never! That one bad data set was only the beginning of a hellish weekend of non-stop stress, frustration, and work. Soooo much work. Not so much sleep or eating. Mostly work. In fact, here's the table next to my working chair:


That is from yesterday afternoon and today. Caffeine, Oreos, and the Book of Common Prayer, those are my keys to success. When traditional problem solving means failed me, Godmother told me she was going to say a Rosary for me and we had a little cross-denominational brainstorming session on Gchat. She asked St. Dominic, patron saint of scientists if I remember correctly, to intercede for me, and I pieced together the Prayer for Schools and Colleges, Prayer for Enemies, and the Prayer for the Oppressed. And you'll never believe it, but not twenty minutes after our conversation I FIXED THE PROBLEM I'd been having. Woah.

So after it was fixed, I redid all of my analytical data for the fourth time that weekend and started the lengthy process of redoing all of the figures. I went to bed at 3:30 when I couldn't focus my eyes anymore. Wesley woke up to eat at ten till four. We were all up for the day at seven. Oy.

I have been existing in panic mode since Thursday. This bad data set seemed to contradict ALL of the conclusions I had so carefully put together. I thought for sure I would have to move the defense. I was working non-stop and had setback after setback and it seemed like I was going nowhere. I am not fun to be around under that kind of pressure. Unless you're into unpredictable bouts of sobbing and foul language. Somehow I managed to keep the wave of panic at bay today and was able to focus despite the lack of sleep. I finished redoing all the figures, updated all the analysis and discussion, finished formatting my draft and TURNED THAT SUCKER IN AT 4:00! Which left me with just enough time to take a badly needed shower and go pick the boys up at daycare.

I have a few plans for tonight. I will be going to bed before midnight. I can't wait. I'm also going to work on my presentation for Friday. But first I'm going to have a little thirty-minute party for myself with my friends Michelle and Pillsbury.

12 comments:

Kyla said...

Oh, I am soooo glad it worked out. HALLELUJAH!

Dr. Maureen said...

Oh, congratulations! Woot woot! I understand that sick feeling when you discover (or think you've discovered) that everything you've been doing is wrong. Mine happened before my proposal - so much worse before the defense! Dear Lord! So I'm very very glad to hear you fixed it. And that you are not working on it anymore.

Sarah said...

So awesome that you turned it in-- very, very awesome!

Yay for you, and I hope you get some sleep!

Mrs. CH said...

Phew! I was tired and anxious just reading that! Congrats on handing it in, and hope you were able to relax a bit!

AJU5's Mom said...

Yea for getting it done. And cookies and a magazine sound like great me time! Have fun in Old Town later this week!

LL said...

Damn. You're amazing and I'm SO glad all the data worked out. Yay for a night of fluffy magazine reading, cookie eating, and SLEEPING!

Pete the Brit said...

Way to go! You rock!!

Staci said...

Yay! Congratulations, Becca! I'm glad it worked out in the end. I've been feeling a bit of sympathy stress on your behalf.

Leslie said...

Hazzah! Are you didn't even have to resort to St. Jude :)

Jason said...

Are former AFL players allowed to attend the defense??? I'm still willing to take you out to Rosa's for a celebratory dinner...

apathy lounge said...

I saw that issue of People yesterday and I had to tear myself away from the magazine section and buy study aids for my upcoming certification test (elementary teaching...I'm already certified for 6-12). Eat some Pillsbury for me!

Aunt Betsy said...

Good work, Becca! Get yourself some well needed rest before the big day. We're all cheering for you. You more than deserve it.