Sunday, March 22, 2009

Camp!

On Friday we loaded up the family and drove out into the hills for our church's annual family camp retreat. Charlie was a little disappointed to learn that we wouldn't be going on an airplane, but when we arrived and he saw the bunk bed he would be sleeping in and the ice cream he would be eating he got over that real fast.

Here he is right after we arrived. Barefoot and sleepy? Yes. Ready for ice cream? Bien SUR, mon amie! I'm not sure why we all agreed to give the kids ice cream five minutes before bed, but it was fun, so you know, whatever.

Top Bunk!
I showed him how to sleep in his sleeping bag by telling him he got to sleep inside a huge taco.

We were staying in a cabin with three other families. Nine kids total. Nine cuh-raz-eeeee kids. About five minutes after everyone had finally settled down I heard a THUNK and Charlie started crying. Ryan hissed "If you had been lying down asleep you wouldn't have hit your head. Get in your taco and lie down."

The next day it was time for games and relay races and kickball.

Rounding Third

We let all the little kids kick the ball and run the bases. Here's Charlie making his first run for home plate. He chanted "I won I won I won" the whole way.

Wesley spent the entire weekend in the Ergo with me, at last realizing his lifelong dream of being held twenty-four hours a day. Also, I am way too much of a spaz to manage nursing in that thing. I don't get it. On the plus side, I am pretty sure I flashed our pastor during the campfire sing-a-long and there is pretty much nowhere else you can go after you do that.

Becca and Wesley

We took the kiddos to play in the river Saturday afternoon.

Charlie in the River
Wesley in the River
River Boys
The Frio River

Saturday night after dinner there was my favorite camp activity of all, a SING-A-LONG!! With a CAMPFIRE!! Charlie alternated between dancing with me and sitting primly with his song book.

Singalong
Singalong

Then we went back to our cabin where Ryan had to bodily pin Charlie to the bed to get him to go to sleep. Although with nine small children in our cabin no one actually "slept". More like dozed between bouts of shushing and nursing and enjoining children to go to sleep go to sleep GOTOSLEEEEEEEEEEPPP FORTHELOVEOFGOD!!

When we got home on Sunday I put on a pot of coffee, put the finishing touches on my dissertation, and sent it off to Dr. Advisor. Tomorrow I plan to sleep, do laundry, and pull weeds in the back yard and that is IT.

5 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

Sounds like you had a great time (minus the missed sleep that is).

Sarah said...

My favorite parts:

*Get in your taco and lie down-- LOL

*Wesley spent the entire weekend in the Ergo with me, at last realizing his lifelong dream of being held twenty-four hours a day.-- Hahahahahaha

*When we got home on Sunday I put on a pot of coffee, put the finishing touches on my dissertation, and sent it off to Dr. Advisor. -- that's freaking awesome!!!

Pete the Brit said...

Awesome pics! You guys rock, will you be my parents? I always wanted ice cream before bedtime :)

Kyla said...

Get in your taco and lie down...possibly the best parenting command in the history of the world.

sarah said...

this whole post made me laugh uncontrollably. The taco? The ergo? Hilarious.