Monday, January 26, 2009

Annnnnnnd done.

It went well. Great even. I have a number of things they want me to add and clarify, but it went well.

Dr. Advisor said "I'm pleased with your progress. This is a very good step forward" and at one point while I was explaining something to Cowboy Committee Member (and really kicking ass, I might add), Dr. Advisor was nodding emphatically and [gasp] smiling. It was a display of advisor emotion the likes of which have never been seen (outside of a collegiate sporting event).

Some highlights:

Crying as I drove up our street in the dark fog this morning because as much as I'd like to think I'm not one of those people who can't leave their baaaay-beeees, handing a snuggly, asleep Wesley to Ryan and kissing a sleeping Charlie on the head was kind of a lot.

$24 for the cab to stop at Walmart on the way from the airport to school so I could run in and buy more breastmilk bags.

Explaining to Dr. Advisor that "I'll be ready in a few minutes, I am going to go 'make some babyfood'" before sneaking into an unoccupied faculty office to pump.

Chasing (he's a fast walker. He once told me "successful people walk fast") Dr. Advisor across a frozen, grassy lawn in HEELS on the way to the engineering building.

TWENTY DEGREES AND FREEZING DRIZZLE. TWENTY! DEGREES! FREEZING DRIZZLE! TWENTY! So glad I didn't wear a skirt. So badly wish I'd brought A COAT (One might think someone who has nearly completed a PhD in WIND SCIENCE would think to glance at weather.gov before heading out the door, but you would be wrong!).

Anyway. It was very good. My defense date is the first Thursday in March.

Ryan and the boys met me for hamburgers "after pickup" just like the two earner households do.

And now I am going to go get in the shower until my hot water heater falls to its knees and begs for mercy because I AM STILL COLD (TWENTY!).

16 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

Yeah!
And you can blame it on Old Town's frequent weather changes!
Hope the shower warmed you up!

Sarah said...

Yay!! Good work-- it sounds fabulous. March 1st-- that's so close!! Yay for you!! And that's my exclamation point quota for the night.

Marianne said...

Omigosh! GOOOOO, Becca!!!

Dr. Maureen said...

Congratulations! You must feel so relieved. And your advisor SMILED? I am stunned. You must have been AMAZING.

Kyla said...

Whew! That is good news!!

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said...

Holler when you head back here to Old Town in March and we'll head over to Rosa's to celebrate the successful completion of your Pile it Higher and Deeper doctorate and your defense. Congrats; this has been a LOOOONG time coming!

Pete the Brit said...

woohoo You rock!!!!!

Mrs. Comet Hunter said...

Hurray!! Congratulations on doing such a great job!

Steph said...

I'm so glad everything went well and that you were able to get out yesterday. I ended up cancelling my trip to FL. :(

mbc said...

You have so much to be proud of today. Good for you! Are you warm yet?

Rima said...

Congratulations! What a relief, you're almost done!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Becca! You are almost there! I am just so excited for you. Did you all get to drive by your old house? You have definitely earned the label in my book as "SUPERMOM!" Jenny

Leslie said...

just adding my congrats!!!

apathy lounge said...

"Make some baby food". That one made me laugh out loud.

clickmom said...

Inconsiderate people walk fast when walking with women in heels during snow and rain. Glad it went well.