Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter Wonderland? Pfft.

Ironically, we took advantage of the near seventy degree weather on Saturday to take Charlie ice skating. There is a grocery store downtown here that has a rink on their roof and that sounded so much more idyllic than going to the indoor ice rink. For some reason I was picturing Rockefeller Center as we got into the elevator in the parking garage. The rink wasn't quite as grand, but it served our purposes nicely. Ryan laced up Charlie's (tiny, adorable, double-bladed) ice skates and reminded him over and over that "These special shoes are hard to walk in and you're going to have to hold Mama's hand very tightly, OK?" I stood up and held out my hand and Charlie stood up and took off towards the ice by himself. Walking was not a problem. I stopped him just short of the ice to make him put on his bike helmet. Ryan thought I was being silly, but I have a very vivid memory of whacking the heck out of my head on ice when I was a little kid and it hurting for a long time. Sure enough, after a few laps Charlie fell and bonked his helmet-clad head on the wall on the side of the rink and laughed it off thanks to his over-protective mother.

We took turns holding Wesley while the other one took slow laps around the ice hunched over holding Charlie's hands while he slipped and slid and occasionally (very occasionally) actually skated. Every time he fell he said "COLD! COLDCOLDCOLD!!" and laughed. He loved it. So much fun.

DSC04384
Prepping for a triple-toe-loop

DSC04393
That was not a low-cut top when I left the house. It must have been feeding time. How many family holiday memory videos now feature my boobs, do you think?

Anyway, it's good we got out when we did because we now have three runny noses and with temperatures in the upper twenties and thirties with winter weather advisories (whatever that means) for the last two days we're not going anywhere. Not even Sonic! I haven't even gotten dressed yet and it's almost noon. Charlie went back to bed shortly after breakfast and Wesley and I dozed (and nursed, always with the eating, that kid) on the couch in front of The View. Ryan just called and he is bringing us lunch because we are so pitiful with our sniffing and sneezing and general moping around not getting dressed and not able to take anything for the congestion because we are all either under the age of five or breastfeeding.

Brothers in jammies
"Send help! We are prisoners of winter!"

10 comments:

Sarah said...

It's 9 degrees here. 9.

We are also prisoners of winter-- but how cute are those skates??? And you look fab, but sorry you guys feel yucky.

My conjunctions make no sense-- must be the cabin fever.

Avonlea said...

Awwww...what a cute, sad picture that last one is. We had snow last week (in Houston!!!), then 70's this past weekend, and then back to freezing temps last night.

I caught our little guy's cold becasue of the crazy weather, I think.

AJU5's Mom said...

Ice skating on the roof sounds like a good time! Sorry you are all not feeling well. At least Ryan is up for getting lunch for everyone (well, maybe not Wesley, but the other two of you!).

And I totally understand the shirt issue. Mine keep fitting different and it is very annoying!

My Buddy Mimi said...

I love Wesley's hair! And the locals are complaining because it is below 50 degrees here. I just pull out my winter clothes (still in the closet from our time in NY) and bundle up.

Rima said...

Awe, I did a double-take when I saw that last picture because we have one almost just like it of the V-meister and a two month old J-dog ON THE EXACT SAME Infant playmat!!! What a coinkydink!

I hope you are all feeling better soon.

Staci said...

Wow, who knew you could ice skate in Austin? Charlie was so cute!

apathy lounge said...

Oh, the cabin fever!! I can smell it from here!

Kyla said...

That last photo makes the boys look like carbon copies, except you ordered one with darker hair the second go round. They are adorable!

LL said...

I love the ice skating idea! Maybe next year we can do that with Landon. I think tonight we're going to attempt the Zilker park train and trail of lights. Landon has been obsessed with the Christmas lights so it should be fun!

And I love that second picture of the two boys under the playmat- so cute!!

Homestead Mom said...

I try a lot of things on my kids, but never considered ice skating. Funny, since it is 16 degrees here and ice is plentiful.

I am def in the camp of parenting whereby one prevents as much bloodshed as possible; my partner would rather pick them up after and dust them off. Helmet? Brilliant.