Saturday, December 27, 2008

Irony can bite me

Wesley is not what you would call a good sleeper. Most nights he goes down between 9 and 10. Every night I think "Tonight's the night! He's going to skip a feeding tonight!" as I collapse into my bed. And every night I wake up to feed him at 1:00, 3:00, and 3:25 before finally giving up and bringing him into bed with me so I can hook him up to the all night drive up buffet. This pleases him greatly. He snuggles his warm little body into me and sighs contentedly before drifting off to dream-and-non-stop-eating land. It's cozy and idyllic for about ten minutes before I either get really really cold because I'm afraid to pull the covers past my hips for fear of smothering him or really really hot because I am cuddling with the human equivalent of a nuclear reactor. Fortunately I am so exhausted by doing this night after night for the last month or twelve that I usually don't have any trouble sleeping this way. Until he wiggles and grunts and pretends he's about to wake up. Which happens a lot.

So you can imagine my elation when I woke up last night at 1:15 to discover that he was STILL ASLEEP. Tonight! Is! The! Night! I was just about to fall back asleep when Charlie's cry jolted me out of bed. I ran down the hall to silence him before he woke Wesley up. I found his pacifier and Phent, settled him down and went back to bed. 1:30, more crying. This time Ryan and I both went to his room to find him standing in the middle of the floor pointing at a blank spot on his wall and wailing "Scary! Scary! Scary!" I picked him up and held him. I reassured him that there was nothing there. I bent over to lay him in his bed and he dug his little fingernails into the backs of my arms and started crying again.

I sat on the edge of his bed holding him and said to Ryan "REALLY? Wesley's going to sleep through the night and I STILL don't get to sleep? REALLY?!" I mean COME ON Universe!! Give me a $#@%ing break!

Charlie could not be consoled so he came into our bed where he made it clear that he was too scared to go back to sleep. Eyes half open I whispered to him that once he woke up the bad dream was all gone and it wouldn't be there if he went back to sleep. He allowed Ryan to take him back to his room whispering "Bad dream all gone" all the way. But he would only stay in bed if Ryan laid next to him on the floor.

Finally it seemed that Charlie was asleep. It was 2:30. I went to sleep. Then. "WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!" Charlie again. 3:00 I heard Ryan get up and close Charlie's door. Then I heard shuffling and grunting coming from Wesley's crib.

So I brought him into my bed. I wasn't able to get him back into the crib until 6:00. He woke up again at 7:30. We had plans at 8:30.

[sound of head pounding on desk in frustration]

Angel and a King
Partners in crime on their way to Bethlehem to honor the Newborn King

[By the way, Christmas was very very special and I will post about it as soon as I can focus my eyes again]

6 comments:

Sarah said...

So cute in the matching sweaters! Harry was super scared of monsters for awhile, and it ruined his sleep, too. Hope you sleep again soon!!!

Kyla said...

They are SO CUTE. Almost enough to make you not mind never, ever, ever sleeping. Almost.

Hang in there. There is nothing worse than finally having the promise of sleep and having it ripped away from you.

Anonymous said...

Awww sweetie, I'm sooooo sorry...I will call you as soon as I get back to the land of not-a-million-activites-everyday --abby

apathy lounge said...

Kiddo, you need sleep. STAT! And a hot bath. And some time in your bathrobe watching nonsense on tv.

AJU5's Mom said...

Sorry that once you got one to sleep okay that the other one won't. Hopefully it is only a SHORT phase for Charlie and Wesley keeps his "good" sleeping up!

Homestead Mom said...

Oh, lord, this is awful. I'm sorry! I still sleep next to a moving furnace. Monito is working out all his little emotional projects at night by crawling up my body repeatedly. I grab his hips and scootch him 2' down the bed several times a night.

I hope you get enough rest soon. Who needs a full night? Just a few consecutive hours will do. We went to the beach 2 months after Monito was born, and I remember thinking every other minute if I was nuts for trying to do *anything* that soon after birth. Just getting through the day [nights] was enough.

Hmm. Add a toddler and a thesis? I'm really impressed that your kids are dressed.