Monday, November 17, 2008

Catching Up

At my six week checkup on Friday I learned, much to my delight, that I am now four pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight. As it turns out, rolling up some turkey lunch meat and cheese and eating it dipped in mustard while standing over the sink is just not providing me with the calories I need to both maintain my weight and give Wesley the twenty-three feedings a day he requires. Woot! Also, Wesley makes a really great free weight. In a fit of motivation the other day I made several laps around the living room holding him and doing lunges. It felt great and he went to sleep! And then I had to run upstairs to get a diaper and my legs nearly gave out halfway up. I haven't exercised since then. It's safer that way. Now if I could just figure out another way to get rid of this delightful spoon shape I have before the summer so I can wear a bikini while vacationing with my sister who runs marathons.

Dr. Advisor asked me to have my next draft ready by the end of the year. It feels a little like when you want to buy a new couch and they tell you you can finance it and not make any payments until NEXT YEAR and you're all "Wow, that's great!" and then you feel a little sick when you realize that next year is a month and a half away. In January we will gather the committee and run through it all one last time before a February defense. I'm hoping it will go better this time than last time (I just read all the posts around that one and WOW, I was quite the delusional little optimist then!). I've been working steadily since I got my revisions back and now I'm through all the grammatical corrections and wording changes and am left with the more meaty corrections... like "The analysis [in this section] yielded results that were opposite of what I expected... additional discussion is needed if this is true." Fan-freaking-tastic! I'm saving that one for last.

Charlie likes us all to cuddle up on the couch and watch the Nightly News with Brian Williams at 5:30 before Ryan comes home. He asks "Watch news? Watch news?" until I sit on the couch and pull him up. Then he asks for "Pillow?" then "Two pillows?" then "Covers?" Yesterday we both wore our pirate hats. And I wore my inappropriately short skirt, as you can see (I wore that skirt to a playdate to show how together I was only seven weeks after birth and then spent the whole time finding creative ways to get green playdoh off the wood floor without bending over).

Pirates

Wesley is growing into quite the little cutiepie. He's wearing size 3-6 months and is getting difficult to hold with one arm. He regularly smiles at the ladies who teach his nursery class at church and has occasionally even smiled at me, the grumpy, unshowered zombie who feeds him twenty-six times a day. He loves to go outside, hates the car, and did I mention he likes to eat? Because he loves it. Which explains the 3-6 month clothes (and my insatiable appetite for carbs). But he really is cute. Today in the culdesac he layed in my lap, calm as can be, and I saw a glimpse of how it will be when he is a little bit older and not so needy. And Charlie does things like kiss Wesley gently on the head when he's going to bed...I love being a family.

They both looked so nice on Sunday I had to make them pose for a picture in the front yard.

DSC04259

11 comments:

sarah said...

You look great!!

sarah said...

Wait. Did that sound weird? LOL I am just impressed with anyone's ability to get to 4lbs below pre-pregnancy weight and is able to wear a "too-short" skirt and look good while doing so! LOL

AJU5's Mom said...

You look great! I guess that is one reason why pounds come off fast after number two - you don't have ANY time to be lazy...
And think, in like 5 months this whole grad school thing will be over and you can relax - well, sort of - as much as you can with two little ones...

Sarah said...

Love your pirate hats. Love them.

I am still up 7 pounds. so I am way jealous of your weight loss, that's for sure. Also, your skirt looks fab!

Oh revisions-- love them. I'm having the best time ever with mine (that is like the most sarcastic it could possibly be).

And Wesley's hair is awesome!

Taylor McKenna said...

I also need to find a way to wear a bikini-or even any type of swimwear, period, around your sister who runs marathons. I hate being the big-boned, food-loving sister-in-law! Maybe I'll also have a breastfeeding monster for Baby #2 and not have time to eat food this time around.
:-)
AJ Oster (Becca's sister's husband's brother's wife)

My Buddy Mimi said...

I also found that weight comes off more easily after #2. Not having time to eat really helps.

mbc said...

You look fantastic and have so much to be proud of....aaarrrgh!

apathy lounge said...

You know that four pounds you misplaced? I think I found them. On my butt.

Kyla said...

Ummmm, I'm 3.75 years postpartum and over my prepregnancy weight, so excuse me while I hate you for a few seconds. LOL.

KC said...

HOORAY for the metabolic wonder that is nursing. And being too busy to eat. Now that I'm done with nursing, I am terrified that I may have to do go back to doing exercise or something to keep from exploding.

Alison Cherry said...

Cute boys!! I'm so glad to you're all doing so well. Again, not sure how I found your blog but enjoy keeping up with a fellow Mommy/East Coast transplant Texan.