Tuesday, September 2, 2008

You can take the family out of their somewhat boring heartland college town...

I called Ryan on Friday and said--without taking a breath--"I was coming home from getting Charlie and there was this huge line of cars and I went around it but then this mean jerk wouldn't let me get in the left lane so I could turn into the grocery store parking lot and then I went through the intersection to try and take a left into the gas station so I could get back to the store but there were no breaks in the traffic and the car was getting hot so I got back on the road and went up to the next street to try and find my way through the neighborhood back to our house but then I got lost and by the time I finally retraced my steps and found my way back to the grocery store it was 5:00 and there were no parking spots and Charlie was cranky so I just came home and we don't have any food for dinner. Would you mind if we went out?"

Ryan laughed "I was just going to call and see if YOU wanted to go out."

Every once in a while we both get sick of our strict, savings-oriented budget with its little envelopes of cash dedicated to groceries, dates, and "running around money". Fortunately we have enough cushion (and simple enough tastes) that every once in a while we can blow off some steam by having an unbudgeted dinner out or splurging on something for the house (like the time we went to Home Depot for light bulbs for the ceiling fan and came home with $55 worth of landscaping materials instead).

Ryan said we could go anywhere I wanted. I pored over the possibilities. The local ice house nearby? The mom and pop barbeque place? The fancy but not too fancy for Charlie place I've always wanted to try?

When Ryan came home I met him on the front walk. "Hi Buddy! You know where I really want to go? DENNY'S! Can we go to Denny's?"

Being married to a pregnant person must be a laugh a minute.

We went to Denny's. I started to panic as we walked through the doors. "I have no idea why we are here" I said "It just sounded really good for some reason." And then we sat down and opened the menus and I started salivating over all the glossy pictures of yummy yummy diner food. I asked Ryan what he was going to get and he said, monotonically and without taking his eyes off the menu "Everything in the 'Favorites' section. And some fries."

Charlie was in a delightful mood, this being before the great tooth invasion of 2008, and was chatty and polite and very enthusiastic about his chicken nuggets and fruit cup. By enthusiastic I mean HE FREAKING ATE FOUR CHICKEN NUGGETS which are ostensibly made from and probably even taste like some kind of meat (meat being between terrorism and baby seal clubbing on Charlie's list of blights on the western world). Clever clever Denny's for making them into pretty little moon and star shapes. He didn't even ask me for one of the four servings of french fries I had on my plate that mysteriously were all consumed by me (?) by the end of the meal.

After dinner I suggested we hit Target on the way home to pick up embarrassing pharmacutical product number three for the week and while we were there I remembered that we also needed diapers and both kinds of milk. And THEN because we are W-I-L-D we splurged on a gallon of Blue Bell's Centennial Cupcake ice cream (even though our grocery budget puts us more in square ice cream box territory). The next morning I said to my mom "We went to Target last night and bought everything we wanted!" She replied "Ooh, fun! What did you get?" I said "Um, a jumbo pack of diapers, skim milk, whole milk, and ice cream. AND before THAT we went to DENNY'S!!!"

If that's not wild, seat of your pants living, I don't know what is.

11 comments:

Pete the Brit said...

That's awesome!

I love Dennys :)

Sarah said...

You are hilarious! Also, I really love Denny's-- pancakes come with an ICE CREAM SCOOP of butter, and what's not to love about that??

Kyla said...

You are SO funny!! When BubTar and I went out for diner food a couple weeks ago, it was SO heavenly, I dragged the whole family with us the next weekend.

My Buddy Mimi said...

Oh, I miss Blue Bell Ice Cream. I need to take a trip to Texas soon.

apathy lounge said...

You need to throttle back, girlfriend! There's such a thing as having TOO MUCH FUN and I think you're dangerously close to that line. Next thing you'll be telling us you decided to stop off at the grocery store pharmacy for a free chance at the blood pressure cuff and then I'm going to have to tell you that you've just gone too far. You crack me up!

Hanah said...

Ooh, Blue Bell is the best thing ever.

Liz said...

i would like some denny's right about now. and i'm not pregnant anymore. bah!

also: your trip to target? sounds perfectly well-rounded, productive, and consumer-satisfying. color me jealous!

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly Ryan started budgeting for his marriage while he was in High School. Thank goodness he found his, "thrift store woman!"

Michael A

sarah said...

Please tell me one of you had the Moon over My Hammy. Best menu play on words ever.

LL said...

Hilarious - you (and your family) crack me up!

Candy Masters said...

OOH, a fave of mine too for sunday morning breakfasts out. I would have something with syrup and David would have scrambled eggs and bacon...Sunday Paper spread all over by the time the 2nd coffee arrived. Love your blog, keep it up, makes me feel closer even if at the other end of the continent.