Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You're laughing with me, right?

One nice thing about the internet is that it provides a quick means for huge nerds like me to catch up on tidbits of pop culture that might otherwise have gone overlooked. Because, you know, you wouldn't want to accidentally name your baby son a slang term for penis.

Not exactly the tribute to Ryan's grandfather we were hoping for.

You know you are cool when you require Wikipedia to learn this kind of information. If only it had been around when I was in high school.

Not sure how I missed this one, since it was a prominent storyline on at least one episode of Sex and the City. An episode that I now remember watching. In fact I just realized with horror that the voice I've been hearing using Bravo's future name in my head was none other than Trey McDougal's. And he sure wasn't talking about a little boy.

Oh wow can you imagine the snickering at his baptism? Or high school graduation? Or from the L.L. Bean employee charged with monogramming it on a tote bag?

There was no way we could go ahead with the name after this. He's already at a social disadvantage by having Ryan (doctorate in engineering) and me (ABD in science) as parents. A gymnast just fell off the balance beam on TV and I said "Oh, I hope Charlie pursues academic interests, I couldn't watch him get hurt like that!" and Ryan replied "He's going to be a Mathlete!" and I said "I'll put a bumper sticker on the car that says 'My mathlete could integrate parabolas around your football player'" and we both laughed a little too loud. Isn't it lucky we found each other?

It was surprisingly easy for us to come up with a new name that has NO Wikipedia pages yet. No serial killers, no politicians, no washed up celebrities, and certainly no lewd anatomical references.

I also (very very nervously) Googled Charlie's full first and middle names, and learned that Charles Hamilton was a highly respected race and social justice activist on the faculty of Harvard Law School. Phew!

7 comments:

LL said...

Hahahaha, I LOVED your gymnast v. mathlete commentary. Too cute and too perfect for each other :)

Kyla said...

Hahaha!! That is funny. Good catch!

SSU said...

I remember AJU1 coming to the hospital with a list of possible names and what they meant... but we never thought of goggling the pairs together. We could have easily done something like John Thomas!

Pete the Brit said...

Names are a curious thing.

My mother's maiden name was Seaman (not good when you just hear it spoken).

My dad's first name was Dick.

This of course meant that Dick married Seaman and had a little Peter i.e. me!

My brothers name is Alan Richard - or A. Dick for short.

My nephew did not escape unscathed, his name is Thomas Johns which is way too close to John Thomas.

I guess names concerning penises are a family tradition for us!

Liz said...

naming babies is some serious business. as you know, we had one particular name that we were ABSOLUTELY SURE that we were going to name our daughter. and then, somewhere around the 7th month we got to talking about other name ideas and when she was born, she had a new name.
i'd be lying if i said i didn't have some lingering naming guilt. i keep asking The Mistah if we named her correctly. because i'm totally not used her name yet. it still sounds a bit unnatural to me. bad mommy!

My Buddy Mimi said...

My husband and I were both on the math team while growing up. It does not bode well for the coolness of our children.

Sarah said...

Ha ha ha ha!

Charles Hamilton is great-- Scarlet O'Hara's 1st husband, right?