Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Where did that come from?

I've gotten so used to Charlie's constant monologue that sometimes it takes me a minute to realize that he's trying to get my attention, especially when I'm driving in a lot of traffic, as was the case yesterday when we were on our way home from day care and a trip to the grocery store.

I suddenly realized that my rising anxiety level was not being caused by all of the other drivers, but by the whining growing ever louder and more urgent sounding from the back seat.

I said, in a calm voice, "Charlie, can you please use words to tell me what you need?"

He stopped whining for a second, then replied

"Pancakes!"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that kid!--abby

SSU said...

Pancakes for dinner - I think that is a good idea Charlie!

Andrea said...

I do that to Godfather all the time!

Kyla said...

Who doesn't need pancakes?

Leslie said...

you'll really be in trouble when the reply is "martini"

BTW, your "house appreciation week" has inspired me that we need to have "apartment appreciation weekend" the next time we have a free weekend.

KC said...

Ah, whining. The music of my life.

Now I am totally craving IHOP.

Art Nerd said...

pancakes are the answers to all life's problems. Especially corn cake pancakes. mmmmm. good taste, charlie!

Sarah said...

Ha! Pancakes! Ha!

I know exactly what you mean about the rising anxiety level-- that happens to me all the time and then I'm like duh-- the baby is crying, no wonder I'm tense. I just block it out-- yikes!

Kristin said...

"Click, Click, Bloody-Click, Pancakes."

"Oh, Pancakes must be street for crack"

-From my favorite episode of Family Guy... Stewie demanding pancakes from his new foster family.

mbc said...

Charlie would get along at our house just fine! What a smart little guy!

sarah said...

who doesn't need pancakes? he's a smart boy.

LL said...

Hahaha, that cracks me up! And I have found that pancakes are often the answer.