Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Captain O' The High Seas

Just yesterday my friend, who is the mother of a little girl a couple of months younger than Charlie, was describing the shoe battle that takes place between her and her daughter every morning. Charlie has never been picky about what shoes he wears (he just loves shoes, all shoes) and I figured it was a boy-girl difference, or maybe just a personality difference.

Until this morning.

I brought Charlie's blue sneakers to him, ready to put them on and he politely said "No" and shook his head. Surprised, I found his Converse All Stars and held them up. "No" again. It wasn't an angry, defiant "no" either time, just a polite, toddler version of "No thanks" and we weren't in a hurry so I indulged him a little more. Finally I held up his new rain boots. His face lit up and he exclaimed "SHOES!!" I slid them onto his feet and he resumed eating his toast and milk. A few minutes later I took one off and tried to replace it with a sneaker and was met with a less polite "NO!".

So this is how Charlie went to day care this morning.

Duck Boots
On our way to the Deadliest Catch casting call.

I adore those boots by the way. I had secretly kind of hoped he would do this. I left some sneakers in his cubby in case he has trouble walking in them later (they do go almost up to his knees). I wouldn't mind a bit if he wanted to wear them all summer like that kid who is always wearing his froggy boots at church. You're only one and a half once!

8 comments:

SSU said...

He does look cute in them. Maybe I will only buy Abigail one or two pairs of shoes - wait - I have yet to buy her shoes because we keep getting hand-me-downs... hopefully we don't end up with too many!

Shannon said...

This is the cutest outfit ever...I love those rain boots!

Sarah said...

awwwww! i cannot get harry to wear anything but "crocs shoes" as he calls his crocs.

HollowSquirrel said...

It's been 100 degrees the past 3 days and Jojo will only wear his green froggie boots...well, that was until we bought him a new pair of blue sailboat boots. But seriously...all boots, all the time.

Leslie said...

you are the coolest mom to let him wear that!

Kyla said...

Cute! I left my long comment on Flickr, but Katie loves her some rainboots, too.

Taylor McKenna said...

Sa-weet! I was just looking for rain boots for Taylor at Once Upon a Child today. She found out yesterday that it's really fun to splash in puddles-but her cute pink canvas sneakers don't look at cute with the coating of mud. -AJ

apathy lounge said...

That makes my feet sweat just to look at that picture.