Saturday, May 24, 2008

This is so much more appropriate than Rent

Did you know that THIS was redone as a CD and is available on iTunes? I can practically see the gauzy images of hippy children dancing in fields of flowers on the video we routinely checked out from the library when I was little. My favorite is "Parents are People" in which mommies are women who have children (so much nicer than dividing ourselves into work-outside-of-the-home moms and stay-at-home-moms, don't you think?) and mommies are busy with children and things that they do... there are a lot of things a lot of mommies can do (ranchers, poets, teachers, doctors, cleaners, bakers, singers, taxi drivers). A retro answer to the Mommy Wars? Love it!

I have a strange urge to get Charlie a football and a tea set, a doll and a fishing pole.

(Funny, unrelated story: The other day in the culdesac Charlie was playing with a little girl who had a stroller and a doll. We hadn't brought any of his toys. I looked over after a few minutes and they were going for a family walk... Charlie cradling the doll and the little girl pushing the stroller with a football in it.)

We took Charlie out to breakfast and then to a farmers' market and finally to wade in the river. All the swimming dogs totally blew his little mind. And FISH! He's been sleeping for almost three hours.

Anyway, if you need me I'll be braiding flowers into Charlie's hair.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I know it won't be too much of a stretch for you to believe, but I still have--and listen to--my LP from my own childhood.
Seriously, Free To Be You and Me? TIMELESS. And still relevant, don't you think?
Push all the hoochies, booty-knockin', over-sexualized pop of the moment out of the way and lets have some fun, important music for our kids again.
Raffi, please step down.

Kyla said...

Awesome!

Totally unrelated to the post, but I think you need to have at least one more kid after Bravo, but you'll need to call him/her Alpha. Then you'll have the whole set Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie!

Sarah said...

I heart That Girl

Love the football in the stroller!!

Homestead Mom said...

Oh yeah. I didn't even have to follow the link to know what you were talking about. I was SURE that my first daughter would be named Atalanta when I was seven. We have the CD and the kids are learning it, even if they still prefer Raffi. I regularly break into, "Moniiiiito wants a doll..."

sarah said...

That was the first CD I ever got Ethan. When he was like 4 months old and colicky, I'd put it on and dance around with him.

He's way in touch w/ his feminine side; not sure if it's a result of the CD, but.... ;-)