Wednesday, May 21, 2008

In which karma tries to bite me... and FAILS

So I was taking a little break from all the really fun LabView code untangling I've been doing to see if they had opened the ticket sales yet for the Sex and the City movie. I am working in the coffee shop today where, as you know, broadcasting sounds of any kind from your computer is a major faux pas. There are several other laptop people around me deep in thought (or tmz or espn, I don't know, they're men though so they're probably not shopping for double strollers, ahem) and being a good steward of my coffee shop table occupation privileges, I did not want to be annoying.

So anyway. I went to the website of my favorite movie theater, the one that serves microbrews and the most delicious cheese, basil, and tomato sandwiches you could ever imagine and was ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED to discover that they were hosting a midnight screening of Sex and the City complete with free cosmos and swag bags (not that I can actually drink a cosmo right now, or have ever tried one, but it sure sounded like fun). I couldn't believe my luck. I clicked on the little "tickets available" icon to buy tickets. I wondered how many I should buy. I figured I could talk at least a couple of my local friends into joining me, and if not, I KNEW I could always get my non-local friends A and Godmother to fly down here and go with me (haha, I wish, you have no idea... my friend here, who is awesome, actually LAUGHED when I suggested we dress up like our favorite character when we went to the movie, A and Godmother wouldn't do that. They would offer me a red wig so I could go as Miranda).

As the page started to load I was terror-struck when I realized that the trailer for the movie was about to start playing automatically. The volume on my computer was up REALLY REALLY loud because Charlie likes to watch "the baby" every time he sees me near my computer (it's a video of him saying "Bye" and laughing, it totally cracks him up and so I will let him watch it up to five times in a row before I realize that maybe if I set some boundaries I could actually use the computer during his waking hours without being besieged with requests for "Baby?! Baby?! Baby?!").

Panic panic panic panic furious clicking on "mute" button furious attempts to close the not responding window gah gah gah gah gah...

...and THEN, a stroke of genius. I ripped the headphones out of my iPod and plugged them into the port on my computer. GENIUS I tell you. And then I realized that the "Back" button was working just fine.

Embarrassing crisis of Sarah Jessica Parker shouting "Hello lover!" in a crowded coffee shop averted. Phew.

Maybe this is a sign I should try to stay focused while working?

8 comments:

My Buddy Mimi said...

So I totally missed this... you iPod is working again! I know that wasn't the point of the story, but yay! Also, my computer is always on mute (button is conveniently located on the keyboard) because of many incidents just like this one.

Becca said...

No, my iPod never recovered from the great milk bath of crapiness. I bought a refurbished one from an uppity "genius" at the Apple store. I reloaded everything I could find and am now back in business.

Sarah said...

Would you believe I am watching SATC for the first time EVER right now? I watched seasons 5 and 6 "On Demand" while nursing in the middle of the night, and I just rented season 1. I am thinking that Jack and I will hit a matinee together. Miranda is my fave, too-- the finale made me cry (the moment she had w/ Magda)

Marianne said...

Love it!

I was using my oldest brother's computer once. And as I turned it on, a sultry voice said "What can I do for you, master?" I can't tell you how creeped out I was. But it would have been way funnier had it occurred in Starbucks.

Anonymous said...

I would SO dress up with you! Who would I be? Of course I shouldn't be allowed near any alcohol b/c the cravings are so bad I'ld probably rip a cosmo out of someone's hand and start chugging :) --a

KC said...

Very impressive reflexes. I so need a girls night out (but not after 10 pm). I'll be the lame one at the SATC matinee.

sarah said...

I would SO throw on a Chanel suit and a string of pearls, and Charlotte my way to the theater with you!!

and I would gladly drink your cosmos for you...

Michael Aivaliotis said...

Your mention of LabVIEW intrigues me. I want to know more. Maybe future posts...