Monday, April 14, 2008

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but..

...OH MY GOSH this song makes me SO HAPPY and I have no idea why. Maybe it's because of the way Charlie and his cousin danced around like the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz when they played it at the baseball game we attended Saturday night (for Ryan's birthday. He wouldn't want me to say which one, but it rhymes with "purdy").

Dancing Cousins
"No Honey, you're a Suburb Boy. You wear Vans and roll in a Neon."

Anyway I downloaded it and I'm sitting here smiling in the coffee shop as I work on the Project We Will Not Speak Of.

More later, I've written ten five four pages today (Five if you count the page featuring a single graph and the words "WRITE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS GRAPH")!

Aside: You dissertation writers... am I the only one who stops writing periodically to reflect on what a big tool I sound like writing in passive voice?

6 comments:

Kyla said...

You should get that dance on video. Sounds like the next Macarena to me.

apathy lounge said...

Well...when ya gotta move? Ya gotta move.

Sarah said...

I don't use passive voice. I do, however, sometimes find myself writing about history in the present tense, which may be a sign of mental illness.

Taylor McKenna said...

That song is great! It always makes me smile too. Never written a dissertation, so I can't help you there. The closest I came was the survey I did for my Master's. It was that or do a thesis or case study, and the survey sounded like the easiest route. ;-) -AJ

Jenny said...

I was halfway through my dissertation when I read a book by Richard Mitchell, called The Graves of Academe. It's about the language that "educrats" and academics use, which he thinks is designed to obfuscate and confuse so they can keep their jobs. It changed my writing style, especially the passive voice, and I had to go back and completely re-write my dissertation from a stylistic point of view. While I don't recommend you do that, I do recommend the book. :)

Liz said...

i heart john denver. long time.