Thursday, April 24, 2008

Well it's no Honda Odyssey but I think it will hold a twin sized comforter

I am on a Craigslist STREAK. Since we moved here in October we have bought a dresser, two nightstands, a lawn mower, a twin sized bed with mattress for Charlie, and today, the pinnacle of my online bargain shopping glory, I found an awesome, practically new, Pottery Barn Kids quilt that came with two shams all for $40 (Ryan: "Do we need to spend $40?" Becca: "DUH it's Pottery Barn Kids! It's an awesome deal!"). It's for Charlie's big kid bed! He hates covers but the quilt is adorable. The lady who sold it to me lives in my neighborhood and gave me her number so we can have playdates with our yet-to-be-born children.

The best part about finding things on Craigslist is the awesome houses you get to go in. Apparently I have quite expensive taste in gently used household goods because so far all of our treasures have come from huge, impeccably decorated houses. Nothing like ringing the doorbell at a house whose foyer could eat your living room and identifying yourself as the person who buys beds secondhand. It has a very Oliver Twist quality to it.

While we were in the house where we bought the quilt today, Charlie toddled through the dining room into the living room, pointing and exclaiming "Wow!" at the vaulted ceilings, the fresh cut flowers, and the wonderful art. No matter how many times I've told him that it's more polite to say something simple like "Your home is lovely" and ask about something specific, like the story behind the interesting family photograph, he still carries on like he's accustomed to living in squalor (how many piles of unfolded clean laundry can you have before the condition of your house qualifies as squalor). Our host was quite gracious, however, and said "Thank you!" to him every time.

We talked for a while about our kids, pregnancies, nursery decor, careers past and future, and how much fun toddlers are. We decided to get together after her baby is born to take all the little ones to the pool. I was so excited that she was interested in being friends.

When it was time to go my new friend folded up the quilt and shams and put them in a shopping bag. She walked me to the door and opened it for me and when she saw my little Neon she said (without a hint of unkindness or sarcasm) "Oh, do you think this will fit in your car alright?"

Charlie's Great Big Bed
I looked at Charlie in his crib last night and couldn't imagine how tiny he will look in this great big bed. Sniff.

7 comments:

My Buddy Mimi said...

Craigs List is awesome. I think they should have a category for folks that have a baby of one gender and are expecting a baby of the other gender. You could get matched up with someone in the opposite situation and do a fair trade, one box of pink for one box of blue.

Rima said...

Oh, yeah, you totally scored with that quilt! He'll look tiny in his big boy bed at first, but you'll be surprised how HUGE he'll look when you take your new baby home. And that will make you sniffle even more. ;)

sarah said...

I cannot stop laughing at the "do you think it will fit? comment. I love when people say stuff that they think is so innocent. Sigh.

I think I am going to have to cultivate a Craig's List habit when we get out to LA...there are a LOT or rich folks out there who probably want to offload a bunch of PBK stuff, right?!

Alison Cherry said...

Craigslist is good but so is freecycle.org...cause it's FREE! You sign up for your zip code and people give stuff away like furniture they're bored with. Peeps will also come and take your crap (like a broken china cabinet that hubby insisted on moving from MD to TX).

Kyla said...

Awwww! He's a big boy!

Great find!

Kathy said...

Hi, I just wandered into your blog while browsing and I am a HIGE fan of craigslist!! I get a little nervous when I have to actually interact with people...but I'm an introvert. His room looks super cute!!

Sarah said...

Love that quilt-- almost bought it for Harry and Jack's room before I went fire truck crazy!

Also, we used to have a cute little Neon, and I know for a fact it could fit a comforter just fine :) (Also seven trash bags full of clothes to take to Goodwill that may have lived in that car for several years).