Sunday, March 2, 2008

Oh right, the food thing

We watched "Old School" on Saturday night (wild wild wild, that's us) while we waited for our house guests to come back from the basketball tournament they were watching. It seemed like every commercial was for food... some made me starving and some made me have to look away (like that one for Friday's where the guy dips half his hamburger into a big bowl of what looks like tartar sauce with parsley in it). At the end of the movie Ryan said to me "So, what do you want to eat?"

"I don't know, I'll just get a bowl of Cheerios."

"What about ice cream?" he said.

"We don't have any ice cream" I said, disappointed.

"Sonic has ice cream!" He said with a smile.

"Oh! Will you also get me some popcorn chicken?"

Sure, write down your order, I'll go get it.

Here's what I gave him:

*small popcorn chicken
*sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast taco
*small popcorn chicken
*Oreo Blast

I am a freakin' de-LIGHT to live with.

Forty minutes and five days worth of calories later I was asleep on the couch in my pajamas.

Today Ryan and I took Charlie to the city's Kite Festival. The park where it was held is huge (they hold soccer tournaments there and have a dozen games going on simultaneously with tons of room to spare) and it was PACKED with people (the official estimate was ten to twenty thousand people) flying kites. There were thousands of kites in the sky of all different types (ours was a triangular plastic one with flames). The day could not have been any more perfect for kite flying. It was so windy that as we crossed the footbridge over the lake into the park we couldn't have a conversation and there were whitecaps on the lake. Charlie loved it so much he opened his mouth and shook his head back and forth all the way across the bridge (I probably should have checked for insects) making a stern bicycle cop crack up. If we weren't careful Charlie's stroller would roll away with him inside. We saw this happen to several other people.

It was total chaos with kites flying everywhere, sometimes swooping down and narrowly missing the spectators. There were kite-fliers, spectators on blankets, strollers, dogs, and hippies--lots and lots of hippies. Some kites got tangled up mid-air and some got stuck in trees. But the sight of hundreds of beautiful kites against the overcast sky was spectacular. Everyone was so nice to each other. Ryan and I were preparing to launch our kite and two cyclists came up so we lifted our string as high as we could and they ducked down and rode underneath it. If someone else's kite landed near your feet you helped it's owner launch it again. I've never seen such a large crowd be so considerate of each other.

We move into our new house on Saturday! Ryan hired movers. It's our anniversary gift to each other. What better gift than to avoid all the bickering that goes along with maneuvering a queen sized mattress up a flight of stairs?

4 comments:

Kyla said...

Mmmm, Sonic. Isn't it just 2.5 days of calories...you know, since you're eating for 2? (I typoed and put 3, maybe that's a sign, LOL)

What a lovely day at the festival. It sounds so perfect.

Leslie said...

Oh! I love kite day!

Michael and I will also be moving soon...we just put in an application for a place in Inwood (think: as far north as you can go and still technically be in Manhattan). Happy Anniversary!

Homestead Mom said...

*I* want a kite festival in our town. On a lake, we've plenty of sites with wind whipping us around all the time.

Good on Ryan for the food run. As you may have read, I survived on Klondike bars through the pregnancy, but then we have no
Sonic.

Hiring movers was, for me, the grown-up, civilized way to move. I applaud your decision - you will LOVE it.

Sarah said...

Yay for the big move. Movers are the only way to go-- happy anniversary!

And also I have eaten an Oreo shake from Potbelly everyday of this pregnancy-- wonder why I have already gained 23 pounds?? (and Cadbury eggs. Ahhh, Cadbury eggs).