Monday, February 18, 2008

Well that was FUN

In addition to having a really great time, I think one of us broke the record for calories consumed by a single woman in a thirty-six hour period.

Exhibit A: Friday night dinner. Mexican food. There were five of us--the waiter brought us four baskets of chips. Then we ordered an appetizer.

IMG_3585

IMG_3588
We needed a break after a particularly taxing trip through Babies R Us. Shortly after this was taken, the pregnant girl (A, in the purple coat) leapt off of her glider to take another spin through the nursery furntiture department while Godmother and I struggled to stay awake. Crazy second trimester energy levels.

IMG_3590
It took three engineering/science types to summon the creative energy to create this diaper cake for Sunday's baby shower for our friend J. In addition to being a pretty centerpiece for the buffet at the shower, it has enough diapers to last J's newborn about seven hours (maybe nine if he's formula fed!).

IMG_3591
We also played a lot of Guitar Hero. It's probably good for our marriage that Ryan and I don't own Guitar Hero.

We also spent a lot of time relaxing and catching up (or in other words, laying on the couch in our jammies watching TV including a TLC show about the Bermuda Triangle... huge methane gas bubbles? Really?). Moving at our own pace instead of Charlie's was a totally new experience for me and it was fabulous.

I like to think I behaved like a normal person but I had to make a special effort to only mention Charlie in conversation every fifth time I spoke or so. And I was pretty levelheaded until Ryan called Sunday afternoon and told me how Charlie slipped in the bathtub and scratched his lip with his brand new tooth and started bleeding but everything was fine. Then I had to excuse myself to the guest room where I could tearfully ask Ryan for the ridiculous amount of money required to change my flight home for earlier in the day. I'm glad that didn't work out because I had a really great time at the shower. J was so happy and she got many beautiful gifts.

I gave her a giftbag of infant Tylenol, Little Noses, Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash Cream, many, many pacifiers (with leashes) and Lansinoh Nursing Pads (AKA the only things I used during the first year). Maybe there will be a night sometime in the future when they won't have to go to the drug store at two AM and they will think of me.

8 comments:

Someone Being Me said...

I love Dr. Smiths diaper oinment. That is the BEST stuff. The diaper cake is pretty amazing too. Glad you had so much fun.

Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU!!!!! --a

Kyla said...

We have Guitar Hero...this weekend Josh was like "Let's have a little rock off, shall we?" And I totally melted his face off with my rockitude. True story. LOL.

Sounds fun!!! And yummy, too. I've had those away moments where you just feel like running back home to the munchkin, but it always ends up being fun to stay.

Sarah said...

Awwwww. That looks like a super fun weekend. As soon as I have this baby (which? hopefully not too soon), I am going to gorge myself on Mexican food and margaritas-- for me, the food isn't the same w/o the drink, sigh.

Steph said...

SO SAD I missed all the fun. Stupid food poisoning. No more Mexican food for me.

a. beaverhausen said...

Diaper cake. It sounds so wrong, but it looks and is so right.

Mary said...

sounds like a blast. Btw, i tagged you for a meme...

Kirsten said...

I'm so sad that I missed the shower....and seeing all of you again!! It's great that you had such a wonderful time.