Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tacos, mortages, and defibrillation

Ryan and I had a romantic rendezvous on Friday for lunch at a hippie taco restaraunt in our town. As we enjoyed our tilapia tacos (him) and chicken and poblano pepper tacos (me) Ryan said "Do you want to buy a house today?"

I sighed deeply. I was still nervous about the payment. I've read The Two Income Trap, it scared the pants off of me. And we only have ONE income.

Ryan said "Would it be easier to decide if the monthly amount was $100 less than we thought it would be?" (which, as you know, is three trips to the pediatrician and three prescriptions for antibiotics, twenty-four movie rentals, twenty-one gallons of milk, or three new pairs of jeans) "Because I called our insurance agent and we overbudgeted for homeowners' insurance by $100 a month." [Here he pulled an enormous graphing calculator out of his pocket and broke it all down for me. No I am not kidding]

"Really?" I asked tentatively, my mouth full of roasted poblano peppers and monterrey jack cheese. "OK. Then let's buy a house."

So we did. Yay!

We will close at the end of February or the beginning of March. I didn't even know that was possible. When we bought our last house, with a loan only slightly larger than that required for a nice SUV, the bank took nearly seventy-five days to get their act together, moving the closing date back three times and forcing the seller to threaten putting the house back on the market on numerous occasions. It was a nightmare. But Ryan called the loan agent for this house who told him "Oh, we can get you closed before the end of February no problem!" I can almost see him reclined in his desk chair, feet on the desk, casting a careless eye to the calendar as if he was unaware of the power associated with holding the next thirty years of our lives in his hands.

Of course I responded to this news by suffering a massive stroke because CHAAAAAAANGE IS SCAAAAAARRRRRYYYYY and Charlie loves living with his grandparents and I love living here and who will Rossby watch TV with at night if not my dad and I finally learned which drawer I keep the can opener in WE CAN'T MOVE IN LESS THAN A MONTH! THAT'S CRAZY TALK! And then I thought about carrying a queen-sized box spring up the stairs and had to be defibrillated.

But later, at my sister's for dinner, as I was showing her pictures online of the double vanity in the master bathroom and the pretty toile curtains that are staying in the dining room and the Charlie-sized rock climbing wall on the swingset I started to calm down and get really really excited.

(I will post pictures as soon as I take some of my own)

8 comments:

Sarah said...

YEAH!!!!

How adorable that Ryan comes to a romanic lunch with a graphing calculator.

Congrats and can't wait for pictures!!!

Kyla said...

YAY!!! Congratulations!!

Melinda said...

HOORAY! How exciting for you all! I totally thought buying a house was scarier than getting married. (I'm not sure what that says about me.)

Leslie said...

Congrats! Can't wait to see the new place next time we're in town!

sarah said...

YAY!!! Congrats! I am going to so enjoy living vicariously through you as you move to your dream home!!

So happy for you!

Andrea said...

Graphing calculators are HOTT!!!

-Godmother

kirsten said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pictures....

Eleanor said...

Yay! Congratulations!

(So glad to see someone else is as petrified about change as I am...I, who had a bit of a mini-panic attack at buying a NEW COUCH at Ikea, because would the ugly orange chair we're replacing think we don't love it? And what about the money?)


(...we didn't buy it, by the way. I'm glad you're more decisive than I am!)