Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Verdict

Tubes. Bah. They go in on Wednesday.

The appointment began with a hearing test where I had Charlie on my lap in a booth and the audiologist played a series of sounds through two speakers on opposite sides of Charlie's head. When Charlie looked towards the sound he would be rewarded by a bear that lit up and played a drum. If Charlie ever asks why we never took him to Chuck E Cheese I will say "Don't you remember that bear with the drum?" There was also a dog that barked in the middle of the booth to get him to look back towards the center and towards the end he fell in love with the dog and kept pointing at it and saying "Bah Bee?" (puppy) and laughing.

The audiologist said he had a slight hearing loss that should be resolved once he gets his tubes. It doesn't seem to have slowed him down much though. He has learned a number of new words in the last few days--yummy, mmmm, oof oof (woof woof), and no (really, "NO!" shouted at our poor dog when he barks in the house). If this is what he is capable of with slightly diminished hearing Ryan and I are really going to have to stop swearing around him after the tubes are in. I might have to give up driving altogether now that I think about it.

The doctor examined him next and then explained the entire tubes procedure, the risks and benefits (the risk of a complication with the anesthesia is "about the same as the risk of riding in a car in a carseat." Instead of making me more confident in the procedure, it made me leary of driving anywhere with Charlie in the car). I don't remember anything after the word "incision" except that he said Charlie couldn't eat anything the day of the procedure because he is going to be one angry boy when he wakes up asking for a banana and gets five ounces of apple juice instead.

The tubes should last a year and his ears should start feeling better immediately. I'm curious to see if he learns words faster or starts walking more after the fluid is drained from his ear canals.

I'm nervous about the anesthesia and the procedure, but it's going to help him so much.

Maybe he will finally understand when I yell from my bed "Run downstairs and make Mama a cup of coffee, will ya Baby?"

10 comments:

Someone Being Me said...

The tubes should help. Bear got them when he was 9 months old and we could tell an immediate difference. His balance was better. He talked more. I think Charlie will be much happier once he gets them.

Rima said...

Oh, I hope things only get better from here! And I'm glad you still have a sense of humor about it all. Because, really, you can get those kids performing basic tasks like fetching coffee from a very early age! :)

Sarah said...

M nephew was happier instantly (and he was a-okay the day of the procedure, too). We'll be thinking about you guys on Wednesday.

So funny that he yells at the dog-- I love how babies are totally in charge of dogs. Harry's BFF walks her big old lab around the block-- too funny.

Hope Charlie can get you that cup of coffee Thursday morning...

Leslie said...

I, too, am a product of tubes. My mom says I used to scream my head off from ear infections until I got them. Since I'm a professional musician, I think my ears work pretty well.

Kyla said...

I had tubes as a kid, too. It is super common. And KayTar has been under anesthesia at least 10 times in the past year and she's just fine. Well, fine for KayTar-fine, anyway. LOL. I think Charlie will do fine with it, too.

kirsten said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this, but I'm confident that Charlie will be even livelier than ever. We'll be praying for you.

sarah said...

I hope they help and make you all happier! And if Charlie starts making you coffee in the morning, I'm making Ethan get tubes, too!

Fairygothmommy said...

I'm sorry he has to go through this, but I can't even imagine what his vocabulary will become with full hearing!

"Yes, mother, I was just testing the Redox Reaction of this particular Boo-Bah when exposed to the elements. Also, may I have a banana? I'm a mite peckish!"

Also, the pox picture was the saddest face I've ever seen. So glad things are better!

Jamie said...

Hi Becca! First time commenter.

My daughter got tubes last summer at 15 months old after numerous ear infections and something like thirteen doses of antibiotics. The tubes have been such a blessing! She's a happier child, sleeping better, and constantly learning new words. Plus, we've been ear infection free for seven months now. I hope your son has the same success. AND coffee in bed...sounds wonderful.

This & That said...

The tubes will make a huge difference. The best thing about the anesthetic is you will get "free" snuggles all afternoon!

The hardest part will be the fact that Charlie will have to fast which means no morning bottle - in our case - the anesthesiologist was an hour late and our baby was craaanky!