Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Pox on this House

I noticed a bug bite near Charlie's eye while he was finishing breakfast this morning. I didn't think anything of it, except that it was weird that he got a mosquito bite in January, inside the house, while he was sleeping. Then I noticed another one on his wrist. I wondered if there were more, so I unzipped his fuzzy footy pajamas.

Ummm...


Is that the most pitiful picture you've ever seen?

When I showed the spots to my parents there were twice as many as there had been twenty minutes earlier and the original spots had gotten bigger and redder.

The doctor (the weekend doctor) was able to see us by 9:00 (it's Saturday, I love our pediatrician's office). We arrived a few minutes early despite me getting so involved in the story I was telling Ryan about my friend from Little Gym who drives a Mercedes and has the coolest name ever (Challah) that I drove right past the exit for the doctor's office. The nurse asked me what medications he's on and I told her about his antibiotic as Ryan lifted him off the scale, pulling up his shirt and exposing his poor blotchy belly (which again looked much worse than it had before). The nurse said "Ooh, I think he's allergic to his antibiotic!" The doctor agreed and checked his ears. Nothing else from the penicillin family for him! Ever!

I told the doctor that Charlie had had chronic ear infections and mentioned the appointment with the ENT on Thursday. The doctor then made a crack about how he thinks tubes are used too quickly now (uh, did I even mention tubes?) and then added "but I don't know his history so you guys can talk to his normal doctor about that." I wanted to say "Well, his 'history' is that he's had ear infections continuously since early October. The first one was resistant to amoxicillin, omnistat, and augmentin (or five weeks total of oral antibiotics) and was finally cured by having six shots in his legs over a period of three days. He had another ear infection two weeks later that took two rounds of antibiotics, and another one three weeks after that. And now an entire class of antibiotics has been eliminated for use by him due to an allergy. But, you know, we haven't tried acupuncture or leeches yet so I guess we are jumping the gun. Thank you weekend doctor who's never seen my son before!"

(Ryan doesn't understand why this guy bugged me so much. I think it was the "Well OKAAAY..." nature of his comment, the way he said it so smugly with his face in Charlie's chart. Like he was just waiting to say "I told you so.")

Anyway. Ears are better now. No more penicillins. He's itchy but happy. He scarfed an entire "blueberry spelt" muffin (gluten free! South is a funny town) when we took him out for breakfast and the playground at the hippy grocery store downtown.

7 comments:

Kyla said...

Oh no!!! KayTar got a nasty rash from zithromax once. It was awful. I hope Charlie feels better soon. And for the record, I'd have been super annoyed with Dr. Weekend, too. It is one of the reasons we only see our ped in regards to KayTar it is too involved to explain and everyone always wants to have an opinion without knowing the looooong story.

Homestead Mom said...

I'm allergic to all cillin drugs and their cousins, too. Zithromax and erythromycin got me through my childhood. Sorry for the inconvenience - and it will be one. Maybe a medalert bracelet, or getting him registered at the local hospitals & getting his allergy noted on his file? (I registered our kids with our hospital, made sure their insurance info is on file, to expedite treatment in case of an emergency. Yeah, I'm *that* kind of mom. )

Someone Being Me said...

Aww..poor little guy. I am allergic to Cephalexin and break out in a rash. I wouldn't worry too much about what the weekend doctor says. I got tubes for my son after 3 back to back ear infections. He still gets infections but now they drain out and they heal faster. With all the colds, RSV, and congestion he has had I am so glad I got him tubes when I did.

sarah said...

Poor thing!! I agree with you about the weekend doctor, though. What an ass. Husbands don't get how personally we take everything the doctor says.

Glad he's feeling better!

Sarah said...

Poor baby! He looked very itchy in that picture. You know, Harry's cousin just got tubes for chronic ear infections, and he is the happiest little guy ever since, so tell weekend doctor to shove it. Was he cute at least?

Anonymous said...

My poor little godson... glad he's doing ok now. By the way, do they still make amoxicillin in that strawberry-flavored pink liquid? Because seriously... delicious. Try some if you get a chance. Absolutely fantastic.

Mary said...

My dad, sister, and I are all allergic to pennecillan, and all of it's family members. It's a good thing you found out early, it's usually not as bad in kids as it is in adults. My dad found out when he was 25 and his reaction caused all his hair to fall out. Never came back!