Sunday, December 2, 2007

Communion Sunday

The church we left in the old town was our home. We had friends there, Charlie was baptized there, and we were consistently late to the service or Sunday School because we saw so many familiar faces as we walked through the building. When Charlie was tiny the girls who worked in the nursery took turns wrapping him up in a blanket and rocking him while he slept. The last week we were there the director of the nursery teared up as she held her own son, just a few months younger than Charlie, and said "I thought you boys could grow up together!"

Needless to say, it was very hard to leave. We have a church here that we like, but haven't had a chance to attend any classes or activities and we didn't feel the same sense of community that we had had before. You can imagine how acutely I felt that absence this week. So today we decided to go to Sunday School. We picked a random class out of a brochure, found the room, and hoped for the best.

There were two OB nurses in the class. They gave me the name of some other doctors to try and said all the things the mean physician's assistant should have said to me.

All I can say is wow.

4 comments:

Art Nerd said...

Oh, I'm so glad you've found a new church home! I will be less concerned for you now. :)

Kyla said...

Yay for church, and double yay for kind hearted people who speak to you in love.

Sarah said...

That's awesome-- sounds perfect!

Agnes Liebowitz said...

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! While I've been busy playing "The Fugitive" with my former high school classmate, you've been going through something so very real and painful. I'm so sorry not to have been there for you, Becca. I do hope you're feeling better and I'm leery of saying anything trite or retreaded. Just know I'm here.

Agnes Liebowitz (You know where to find me, no?)