Tuesday, November 20, 2007

When all else fails, it's time to trick your baby

Charlie, since he has my DNA, has an aversion to protein foods that are not scrambled eggs. He would happily eat nothing but organic whole grain flax seed waffles (which are exactly like ordinary toaster waffles except they taste terrible and cost twice as much), yogurt, bananas, applesauce, and pears if I would just stop being so mean and let him. He once ate an entire double egg breakfast taco (a tortilla wrapped around about four scrambled eggs) the other day. In the morning I have to give him his banana first and then carefully remove the waffle from the freezer, hide it behind my back, walk sideways over to the toaster, stealthily slide the waffle in and push the button, then remove the cooked waffle to cool. If he sees that waffle it is o-v-e-r for the banana. Tonight I took the empty waffle box out of the freezer in front of him and he sat on the floor clapping and laughing and signing "more" until he realized I was throwing the box away and not making him one. And then he was MAD. Which is really quite funny.

I've been trying to coax him into eating some more of what the pediatrician describes as "table foods" and thinks Charlie is capable of eating exclusively. Tonight I put him in the highchair, cut up some chicken breast into tiny pieces suitable to his toothless mouth, and put the chicken and some peas and carrots on his tray. I then moved to another part of the kitchen because I learned from Amalah that the worst thing you can do is act like you care what he eats. I watched out of the corner of my eye as he put a piece of chicken in his mouth, became enraged, and then flung it onto the floor to our dog. Stifling a laugh, I watched as he did the same thing with a pea and then a carrot. And then a few pieces of Vermont Cheddar that I put on there. Then I sprinkled some Cheerios among the debris on his tray hoping a few things would get in accidentally. Instead I learned that I have underestimated Charlie's sorting and fine motor skills. The same thing happened last night with chicken, rice (which he eats at restaraunts but not at home), and blueberries.

When Ryan came home tonight he got out our food chopper, chopped up about an adult sized portion of chicken, mixed it with a tub of Gerber carrots, and gave it to Charlie who sucked the whole thing down like it was candy.

WHO'S THE MAN NOW?!

This morning I took Charlie with me to buy some donuts for my grandparents, who are staying with us for Thanksgiving (four generations are living in one house right now, it's pretty cool). I bought some donut holes and gave him one to try in the car before we left. He carefully chewed it up and when I couldn't see anything more in his mouth I asked if he was all done. He enthusiastically signed "All Done", so I closed his door and walked around to the driver's side. Clearly I misunderstood him when he signed all done because his angry screams could be heard outside the car before I opened my door. He calmed down after several minutes and then the sugar hit him. He started yelling "YA YA YA YA YA" and talking to himself as we drove home. I hid the bag after he had a few more donut holes at home. But apparently I didn't hide it well enough to keep myself from polishing off the rest of them myself.

2 comments:

Kyla said...

LOL! He's doing pretty good for his age. I'm sure he'll be a fan of eating other things soon enough.

Sarah said...

Love it-- come one-- since when is a single donut hole enough for anyone?

I hear you with the waffle/banana dance! It's all I can do to get through breakfast and dodge the 10,000 cookie requests.