Wednesday, November 28, 2007

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

A conversation with the new friend Charlie and I met on the swings today:

Friend: "What do you do?"

Me: "I'm working on my dissertation in wi*nd scie*nce but I'd rather be a lactation consultant. What about you?"

Friend: "I have a masters degree in clinical psychology but what I really want is to be a yoga instructor."

She LOVED my line about Charlie doing the standing sun salute in utero. (which I made before I knew of her career aspirations, hello I am not that desperate)

(Except that I am and I would have done an entire standing sun salute right there on the playground if it meant a new friend who lives nearby)

She gave me her card. But only after I pushed Charlie on the swing for so long he was looking at me like "Sorry to interrupt you Mother, but I seem to have lost the feeling in my legs. Perhaps we should move to the scary stairs of death or the slide now, hmmmm?"

When Ryan got home I did a little happy dance in a circle around him while waving the card enticingly just out of his reach and chanting "I got a numbah! I got a numbah!" He may have thought I was having a seizure.

So anyway, I just emailed her an upbeat "So nice to meet you this afternoon, let's have coffee sometime soon!" Which I think is an improvement from my rough draft "Will you be my friend?" with little check boxes for yes or no. I don't know enough HTML to make that work in an email.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

I'm kind of worried what's going to happen to my social skills after I have this baby. I've been gradually slipping in the cool as it is. Why is it so hard for mom's to make a connection?

Good luck with your new friend. She's got to realize how smart and funny you are. And that your child is freakin' adorable.

Liz said...

making friends as an adult is so much like dating.
and i sucked at dating.
but seriously, babies are the Great Equalizer. because in reality, you're all going to the park hoping for a little adult conversation. it's only a matter of time before you start stalking one another. for all you know Ms. Masters in Clinical Psych/yoga teacher went home and did the very same happy dance.
i'll bet she did!
(also: erm, wind science?)

Sarah said...

Yay! A Mommy friend. Maybe who can count!

Kyla said...

YAY! I pick up mom friends on the Internet. LOL. It is how I met Josh, so its good enough for me. ;)

wordgirl said...

Yay! A friend! How could you worry about making friends? You're wonderful.

http://wordgirl5.typepad.com/half_of_the_sky

Shannon said...

I love your sense of humor Becca! Seriously, being your roommate was all kinds of fun. If we weren't so far away I'd be your hang out friend, but for now I'll just cheer you on and hope everything works out well.