Tuesday, November 13, 2007

BAM!

Dear Dr. Lastname,

(what the hell??)

I am writing to ask if you would be willing to review a manuscript for the Journal of Sciencey Gobbledygook.

(Wha?)

The manuscript title is "Hard hard hard scary sort of related to your research." Please let me know within the next few days if you will be able to take this on.

(Uhhhhh...)

Sincerely,

Editor

(Uhhhhh...)

I IMed Dr. Advisor and told him I'd decline and pass along his name and he said "You are qualified to do this but you may not be comfortable critically reviewing a paper at this time." Orrrrr maaaybe they wouldn't be comfortable with ME because they THINK I ALREADY HAVE A PHD!! Maybe it would be like that time I went on a field project trip as an "expert in residential construction" and ended up sitting in the back and writing down field notes the whole time. Educational for me, disappointing for them.

Yeah.

But still, pretty cool! Almost makes the ENTIRE DAY I spent making histograms yesterday seem less asinine.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Dr. C was asked to review papers before he had his PhD. I think it's pretty common to be asked to review papers in your last year of grad school. You're qualified!!!

Sarah said...

You should totally do it-- I've done a couple and I'm no doctor-- just sign your stuff Doctoral Candidate when you send it in. And panting like a dog? Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Um, writing down field notes is a very useful task! So is making constant jokes and keeping the mood light so that nobody has time to digest the crippling tragedy unfolding before them.

FEMA took my sandwich.

I like histograms.

-Godmother

Kyla said...

Wow! That's pretty cool, though!

Marianne said...

You're totally qualified, Becca. I always think that peer-reviewed means people who are knowledgeable in the field. ABD makes you that.

My life seems to be quite the opposite. I'm surrounded by people who think I'm a secretary. I'm like "yeah... that's a really good use of my almost PhD." Not that I'm bitter much.