Thursday, May 31, 2007

Negatory

When I was living in the dorm in Baton Rouge a few years ago during my internship, my roommate and I went to the grocery store to buy her a pregnancy test. As if it wasn't embarrasing enough to be two college roommates buying a pregnancy test, we had to ask three people to open the case that held the tests. The only brand they had contained a "bonus test", bringing the total to three and to cut the tension we openly referred to it as the "slut value pak". We also bought a bottle of wine (in case of negative) and a bag of Hershey Kisses (in case of positive). Fortunately for my roommate, we spent the evening watching TV and drinking wine (and eating Hershey Kisses).

So the reason I haven't posted lately is because I wanted to know for sure what I was not writing about. And the extra test from the box that contained the test, the one that told us Charlie was coming, was negative. And I mean negative. It looked at me with that smug little (single) pink line and said "I know you've been totally exhausted, hungry, moody, and experiencing little stretching pains recently but it's NOTHING! Suck it up, lazy ass!"

I'm not going to go into detail because both my Grandmas, my mom, and my mother-in-law read this site, but it was very unlikely anyway. Mostly because of the breastfeeding. But I have been less than diligent about taking my birth control--I didn't even take it with me to Washington DC--so I thought I better check it out. You know, so I can continue my wild ways. But mostly so I know for sure whether I should reduce my prodigious caffeine intake.

We introduced sweet potatoes tonight. Charlie hated everything about them. In particular he was absolutely terrified by our food processor. He cried in his play pen when I turned it on. Like an idiot, I thought maybe if he could see what was going on he wouldn't be scared. So I turned it on while I was holding him and he screamed like he thought I was going to puree HIM and not the potatoes. Poor poor baby. The first bite made his whole body shudder before he gagged and drooled the entire bite down his chin. I tricked him into eating a couple of tablespoons worth of sweet potatoes by alternating bites with bites of banana. It was MESSY. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the effort mom but please stick to bananas. mmmmm.
--Charlie

Anonymous said...

Charlie is soooo cute. I completely understand why you might hope for another so soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,
We have enjoyed following your family's life through your blog. Hope you have a great 27th birthday today.

Love,
Uncle Alan and Aunt Leigh

Anonymous said...

Charlie has to remember to wish Mommy a Happy Birthday on Friday. Your Aunt and Uncle in NH will be looking for his comments.

Sarah said...

Awwww. I so totally want another baby, but now is sooo not the time, but I wish it were. Sigh. Happy birthday. And sweet potatoes stain.

Kyla said...

Happy birthday!! And happy negative pee on a stick day, too! :)

wordgirl said...

Bless your heart! I know what that feeling is like. Pretty much every time I thought I was pregnat? I WAS PREGNANT! Glad you got the answer you wanted. I'm having a glass of wine to celebrate.