Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Blustery Blustery Day

Ryan took Charlie out this morning so I could get some sleep. As I was snuggling down under the down comforter I heard the door close and a loud WHOOMP as my neighbor's trash can slammed into the side of my house. I was so tired I had no problem dropping off to sleep for a couple of hours. When I woke up around 10:30 the sky was orange and the winds were thirty miles per hour and gusting to sixty. Almost a tropical storm!! I was still pretty sleepy so it was really surreal. Half asleep, I found some pants and shoes and went out for a cup of coffee. I drove through my neighborhood past uprooted trees, overturned patio furniture, toppled basketball goals, broken fences. I had to dodge tumbleweeds!

The news is going nuts with stories about the wind. They showed two pictures of overturned eighteen-wheelers on the highway. Eventually many of the rural highways were closed because there were so many wrecks. The peak wind speed in the area was recorded here-- 70 mph.

The coolest thing I saw was a large bay door at a carwash that had been punched out of its track and into the building by the wind. That I saw when I was on my way to shop for some new clothes. I found some great deals at a sale and bought a dress, skirt, sweater, and a tshirt for like $61. I was there for nearly two hours because I HAD to find a striped shirt. I don't know why. For some reason I have wanted a striped shirt for months. Found one! Yay! Also found some cute onezies for a friend's baby girl. The shower was today, hence the new dress.

Also, if you are going to a baby shower and you find you don't have any wrapping paper? A receiving blanket works nicely. :)

No comments: