Monday, January 29, 2007

I will now need a young lamb to take to the temple. Or am I in the two doves bracket?

An email I just received:
------------------------------------------

From: Dr. Advisor

Sent: Mon 1/29/2007 11:09 AMTo: Me; K; B

Subject: Meeting Cancelled Today

The research meeting this afternoon is cancelled.We will start back next week.Sorry for the late notice.

J

------------------------------------------
A little background. My advisor started this weekly research meeting thing last semester and today it was my turn to make a presentation detailing my research progress.
"Presentation" and "progress" are two things that had not been completed as of 11:30 last night when I finally gave up and tearfully explained to Ryan how much I loved him and Charlie but that I was going to have to skip the country for a little while to avoid being murdered by my advisor because I'm such a huge slacker. And also when I come back I will have had plastic surgery and you will have to call me "Jane".

So you can imagine the shocked joy I felt when I received that email. I know my advisor takes his job of shaming graduate students into working very seriously and I know it was hard for him to cancel the meeting. He couldn't have made me happier if he had kicked me out of the program!

Like a pardoned death row inmate, I realize I should use this opportunity to turn things around and then really blow them away next week. So I will try. First, I am going to take a shower and get dressed and then I will get some lunch. And then I am going to sit down and make progress. On my dissertation (not on enhancing my cloth diapering knowledge base or catching up on The Apprentice LA). And then I will watch Oprah. Alright? Alright. Enough screwing around. There will be plenty of time for that in August when I have graduated and don't have to do a damn thing if I don't want to. But I probably will. Want to do something that is.

No comments: