Thursday, December 21, 2006

The worst concievable movie experience you will ever have

Charlie and I are in Austin staying with my parents while Ryan stays in Lubbock to get some work done. We are having a nice time. Charlie is getting lots of attention and there is always an extra pair of hands around to help me. For example, as I write this Charlie is asleep in my Mom's arms. She is also asleep. So is my Grandma next to me. We had a big day driving to visit some cousins of my dad who live a couple of hours away for lunch. Tonight we gave him a bath in the sink. He loved it! Here's a picture:

Charlie in the Bath

After the bath I weighed him... Are you ready for this? He weighs FOURTEEN AND A HALF POUNDS! Guess the breastfeeding is going well! He's almost out of his first set of cloth diapers (the prefolds and Bummis covers. he grew out of the Kissaluvs a couple of weeks ago when the front of the diaper ceased to cover the most important part of his diaper area) which were estimated to last about six months. He turned seven weeks old today! I guess I should stop taking those human growth horomone shots they give cows.

On Tuesday Charlie and my sister and I went to "Baby Day" at the Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Austin. The Drafthouse is so cool that I will never go to another movie theater again. It is a brewhouse and restaraunt in addition to being a movie theater. It was built in an old movie theater where I went on my first date (Forrest Gump, freshman year of high school. my mom drove to, his picked up). It's much nicer now, there are tables in front of every row of seats and waiters will bring you a bucket filled with longnecks. On Tuesdays they have Baby Day where babies are allowed in for the matinee show. The poster says "Conceivably the worst movie experience you'll ever have" and features a picture of a really angry looking baby.

It was fun walking into the theater with all the other wide eyed mamas eager for a couple hours of beer drinking and movie watching with their little ones (I didn't get a beer, mostly because I didn't want to spend the money. Only a little because it was Tuesday at noon). Charlie and I decided to see Borat. I think it's important for him to learn about other cultures. There were only two other families in Borat. They both had little babies. Probably the families with older babies were afraid their kids would learn new words from the movie, like "vageen".

The other cool thing about the Drafthouse is that it is the site of the start of my love affair with grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. They do it right, with basil mayo and buffalo mozzerella (cheese that is out of my price range normally). Mmmmm mmm good. I chased it down with a couple of glasses of iced tea and a large piece of chocolate cake. All my favorites!

Borat was hysterical. I have never, ever laughed so hard at a movie in my life. I had to put Charlie back in the stroller because I kept waking him up laughing. It is wildly inappropriate and politically-incorrect so don't say I didn't warn you. Don't see it with any relatives you wouldn't talk about sex with for example. Or any relative of an older generation who you would one day like to look in the eye again. Charlie was a good boy. He slept a lot and when he woke up I fed him right in the theater. (Charlie got further than that first date guy did in that theater!) Taking my shirt part-way off in public is becoming shockingly easy. Looking forward to Mardi Gras!

No comments: