Monday, December 11, 2006

Ohh, he needs food!

Charlie is having a growth spurt. According to KellyMom (www.kellymom.com): "During a growth spurt, breastfed babies nurse more often than usual (sometimes as often as every hour) and often act fussier than usual." I would like to add to that description Wikipedia style by saying "During a growth spurt babies will have a period of sound sleep lasting twelve hours or more during which you take his vital signs every hour or so because no baby could possibly sleep this much. After the period of sleeping the baby will be awake for approximately forty-eight hours and his behavior will be marked by extreme crankiness, cat-like shrieking WHILE feeding, and an insatiable appetite."

So because I am slightly retarded, I did not realize that Charlie was having a growth spurt until this morning. Last night we took him to a concert and party at our church. The concert began at five and he was due to eat again around five thirty. When we arrived he was fussy and I had the sling so I went ahead and fed him in the church during the concert. After about ten minutes I tried to switch him to the other side and he began making this scary cat noise at the top of his lungs because he was so starving he couldn't possibly stop eating for thirty seconds while I moved him over. I got him out of there in a hurry. I spent the remainder of the concert standing in the back with Charlie in the sling frantically swaying back and forth and patting his bottom so he wouldn't start screaming again. He stayed calm long enough for me to eat a bowl of soup and some cookies at the party and then started up again. We got a picture with Santa and then left. Thank goodness Santa knew to have the pacifier ready. Here's the picture:


Charlie and Santa

No comments: