Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Something is wrong with me

Clearly, the rational part of my brain was delivered with the baby. Ryan called today from work to tell me he stopped by the church where Charlie will be staying three days a week during the day so I can go back to school (THREE FREAKING DAYS). As he described how nice the room looked and how there are only three babies per teacher and how they are certified by the state I could not stop crying. In fact, I can barely even tell you about it. In every other area I am still my old cynical self (like changing the station whenever that damn Christmas Shoes song comes on the radio and getting more worked up over a Tech first down than well pretty much anything that is supposed to make normal people feel all warm and fuzzy. Except for patriotic music on the Fourth of July and the part where the veterans stand up when they play their song? Yeah, don't get me started).

It will be great for him. He'll make tiny friends and learn things from his teachers and all that (and get all his major infections before he reaches one year old. Poor sweet innocent little baby what is your mama doing to you?). I love the idea that he'll be a little independent (forget who I am) and have some new experiences (hang around with the wrong crowd of no good hoodlum babies who will introduce him to cigarettes). It's just the thought of dropping him off with strangers and then walking out and going to work that is a little terrifying. Please leave supportive comments.

So I figured the best possible way to handle the stress the mere thought of taking Charlie to childcare (part time three days a week oh my gosh what the heck is the matter with me snap out of it!) was to drink a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks and eat a giant chocolate chip cookie. Charlie got lots of compliments at Starbucks because he was fast asleep in his stroller (mostly because of the bumpy sidewalk outside but also because he is a perfect little baby [who turns me into a sappy pile of mush. but at least not a pile of mush covered in breastmilk anymore woo hoo!]). [And no, I am not cheating on the coffee shop because I had a gift card from my sister who is the manager of a Starbucks so it totally doesn't count plus the coffee shop is far away and not right next to the grocery store] Mmm, I am enjoying my Peppermint Mocha. On a completely unrelated note, I've decided that post-pregnancy "curves" are sexy and should be cultivated.

Finally, Growey McEats-A-Lot has outgrown the Christening outfit I found for him. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

No comments: