Monday, September 4, 2006

Our trip to Sweetwater

So we were supposed to go to Austin this weekend, but we only made it to Sweetwater. Starting in Snyder I had some "tummy troubles" (which manifested itself by me throwing up in the parking lot two feet from the door of the Burger King we stopped at). By the time we got to Sweetwater (three more episodes of "tummy troubles") it became clear that we better do something about it. The on call nurse said she would call in a perscription for us, but when we looked for a pharmacy we were told they all had closed at 7 (it was about 7:08 when we learned this). Our other option was to have the perscription called in to a pharmacy near my parents in Austin but we ultimately decided that I was too sick to go another four hours in the car without any relief. We went to the hospital in Sweetwater hoping they'd give me a nice shot of Phenergen send us on our way. But they took one look at me and whisked us back to labor and delivery so I could be monitored. The nurse had me change into a gown and got me into a bed and asked if I was having any contractions. I said no and she said she was going to hook me up to the seismograph thing anyway. A few minutes later she came in and said "You're having a lot of contractions!" Apparently extreme dehydration can cause contractions. Who knew? Anyway they hooked me up to an IV for fluids and gave me a shot to stop the contractions and another shot to control my "upset stomach." I responded by getting even sicker (I will spare you the details). Since I wasn't improving, they said they had to keep me there overnight and moved me to a new room with a cot for Ryan and put me on the seismograph thing and the fetal monitor and the IV. I finally fell asleep around 11 and felt tons better once I was able to sleep. I woke up numerous times and basically felt miserable all night, but everything had slowed down to a point where I could absorb some of the fluids they were giving me. Apparently sometime overnight they declared me a biohazard because they didn't know what was wrong with me and put a special bucket in my room where the nurses threw away the gowns they had to wear into the room whenever they visited me. They said it was because they also had to be around the babies.Poor Rossby-the-dog had to spend the whole night in the car by himself. Ryan went out every once in a while and played with him and took him for walks and made sure he had food and water. He took him to McDonalds in the morning and split his hashbrowns with him.In the morning a nurse came in and turned on the fetal monitor so we could listen to Charlie's heartbeat. He is doing really well and probably has no idea that anything was amiss. In fact he was swimming around like crazy because of all the sugar water they gave me in my IV. By then I was feeling well enough to have some crackers and apple juice and they released me around 11 am. We got my prescription for phenergen filled at the Walmart next door to the hospital and picked up some upset tummy snacks and headed back to Lubbock where I slept for eight straight hours. Ryan has earned his way into the husband hall of fame once again. For example by responding quickly and proficiently the many times I yelled "UNPLUG ME!!" (which meant unplug the cord for the fetal monitor, contraction monitor, and IV--all on different sides of the bed) so I could run to the bathroom. And by letting me hold (squeeze the heck out of) his hand when they stuck me with needles and poked and prodded me. And by making sure I always had available a bucket of some kind just in case. And by running in to the bedroom with a stainless steel mixing bowl when I started coughing in my sleep. And by being so worried about me during my marathon sleep session back in Lubbock that he got two weeks worth of yard work and errand running done and even made a tummy friendly dinner so it would be ready when I finally woke up.I'm really sorry we had to miss all the fun in Austin (and it sounded like a GREAT time), but I think we did the right thing. If it was just me I would have toughed it out, but I have to think about the little one now.In other news, it's been raining non-stop in Lubbock since we got back! I checked the mesonet (www.mesonet.ttu.edu) this morning and it looks like we got more than three inches!!!

No comments: